Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I get it...

I'm starting to understand even more so now why families are having fewer and fewer kids. We signed Macy up for soccer this spring just to kind of get her exposed to it (our kids have no chance of escaping this sport with Luke as their dad...lol) and to run around and stuff, so with him volunteering it still costs $70 ($120 if you don't volunteer). Then today I "fake applied" to see if I qualified for the stay at home parent subsidy for Macy's preschool in the fall and we DON'T (arrrgh) so that's like $150/month, plus all the other costs of having kids. I mean as your kids get older they seem to get involved in more things, so are we going to end up spending hundreds of dollars per month per child on swimming, piano, soccer, school field trips, dance, or whatever activities they choose to do??? I don't know how my parents did it with 6???

I know it sounds like I'm one of those "over schedule your kids" type mom, but I'm really not. It's just so hard because I personally feel like my kids HAVE TO take swimming lessons just from a pure safety standpoint - they have to know how to swim, I am IN LOVE with the piano so naturally I want to expose my girls to it (at least long enough that they could play at church if needed), Luke's passion is soccer so he wants them to try that, and then if they fall inlove with something else themselves (like dance or karate or whatever), you're looking at 4 things plus school clubs/groups etc. That's crazy time and/or money!

I know kids are expensive, and that you can always find a way to make it work, but I was just thinking about it today when looking at preschool costs and thinking "HOLY COW!!!" lol. I guess it's just part of life eh? It's a good thing they're so cute!

7 comments:

Irene said...

At least you get the federal government subsidy for child care of $100 per kid - per month....There was none of that in our day!.....lol

Mindi said...

Times were different when we were littler. I am pretty sure my mom didn't pay $150 for me to be in preschool. But times are changing and getting more expensive to have kids. It's hard on those who do want lots, but you are right, it'll work out!

Emily said...

Ya, I"m so much looking forward to that. I guess I should be thankful that I'm not going through that right now or I would be even more broke than I am now... being on a residents salary and all.

Heather said...

It's so hard! I used to think I would have 6, now we've cut that number in half! You just want the best for them, you know? I feel the same way about the swimming too, and the piano...and the dance...yikes I better start saving!

Tim and Ashlee said...

I'm searching for a money tree. I'll let ya know if I find one.

Kelli Olsen said...

So true. But atleast the things they need the most cost absolutely nothing at all!

Dashanne said...

I know everything is so expensive. We almost didnt sign Ella up for preschool because of it. As for the soccer the other communities are even more expensive. Swimming lessons in Airdrie are way cheaper than Cardel. The dance studio in Creekside cost $12 for an hour class. I couldnt believe how expensive I guess I will be teaching Ella how to move! On a plus side atleast you can teach your girls piano!!!!