Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Teaching by example!

So yesterday I had HAD it with Macy. I love her to pieces, but she was grumpy and having an off day which makes it difficult to try and do anything with her. She's normally such a happy even-tempered litle girl but for the past few days she gets upset easily and yells NO NO NO at me????

I was talking about it last night with Luke, when he said, well, obviously she's going to say NO to everything when that's all she hears from you. Let's just say this was NOT the right thing to say.

So today I was trying to pay attention to how I talk to her, and I really do tell her NO all day long. She'll try and put things in the toilet, so I say NO, she'll try and get the cleaning supplies out and I say NO, she'll grab the phone and start calling someone and yup, you guessed it I say NO! So I am really going to try hard to find a better way of correcting her behavior, than NO.

I am so blessed to have my little Macy. I love her more than anything and I would do anything for her. She is such a sweet little girl, with a lot of energy and personality and I would never want that to change.

So in short, I have learned that if I don't want Macy to say NO NO NO all day long, I better start leading by example and try to stop saying myself!

3 comments:

Skye said...

Thanks for the good advice! I find myself saying the same thing over and over and over again! This parenting thing sure isn't easy is it!?

Tiffany said...

LOL, okay sorry that I am laughing but aren't kids just so dang SMART ! seriously mine have me wrapped around there figure doing the figure puppet dance with me...Grrr. I feel for ya. Sorry to tell you but it seems to only get worse ! Hope today is a better day. Loves, Tiff.

Terri-Ann said...

I took a parenting workshop a while back that talked a lot about this - it's so hard to do! I constantly find myself saying "no" a lot (2 years old has been a VERY trying year!).

The best trick I learned was to turn it around and use a "yes" sentence. For example, instead of saying "don't hit" say "hands are for clapping!" or "hands are for waving". Sometimes you can even make a little game out of it (take turns coming up with things that hands can do). Other example: instead of "no, you can't have a snack" say "yes, you can have a snack after dinner."

Good luck with that adorable little girl of yours (and with little o ne on the way!)